Dressing Down Memory Lane

On a recent trip to The Big Apple, Spexy Lady took in the hot off-broadway play, "Love, Loss and What She Wore" --Nora Ephron's latest production.

Five actresses sit on tall stools facing the audience--we saw Tyne Daley and Jane Lynch while Rosi O'Donnell and Rita Wilson were off that night-- all wearing black (of course) while reading a collection of essays. There's the monologue on black, black, and more black except for the author's wedding day, the hilarious handbag story, the comments on the dress she wore to her mother's funeral, and more musings on how love and loss in the author's life were immortalized forever in her mind by what she wore.

Remember what you wore on your first date, your first prom, the day you graduated, the day you brought home your first baby, an important gala, your most embarrassing moment?

It was hard not to see images of my own life told in what I wore back when as I listened and laughed through the play with my BFFs from New York.

I couldn't help remembering the yellow silk moire gown I made for my junior prom I attended with one of my dearest friends who died of AIDS. Or the absolutely fab Christian Lacroix copy created in lace and poly-silk by Victor Costa for the CFDA gala at the NY Museum of Natural Science. Or my favorite Adrienne Vittadini sundress that I wore (shamefully) for almost 10 years to drive carpool.

But talk about immortalizing what I wore, I still have both the yellow prom gown and the Lacroix. Sweet memories of my former, slimmer self! The blue and white flowered sundress with safety pins keeping it together in the back was finally retired at the begging of my sons.

Take a moment to remember what you wore when...

Have a spex-tacular trip down memory lane!

Comments

Popular Posts